Game 12: Chard Town 5.2 Corsham Town (Western 1)


Game 12: Chard Town 5.2 Corsham Town (Western 1) 04.03.17

Another new ground and the first time I’ve seen a game on this day. There were a few showers on the drive down to Chard and it looked like there had been some heavy rain when I arrived with a rainbow above the ground. This was one of my bucket list grounds to do with the famous slope down the pitch meaning one end is 12 feet higher than the other.

With more rain forecast at the start of the game I decided to watch from the stand and keep under cover – a wise move as more rain fell during the game. Chard opted to kick down the slope and took the lead after a couple of minutes. A corner was cleared to the edge of the area and a well hit shot went over the keeper and under the bar. Chard scored again from a corner after 24 minutes, this time the ball went over to the right and a powerful shot found the back of the net. They were unlucky not to score a third when the Corsham keeper cleared the ball but was well out of his goal. A shot came in before the keeper could get back but from some distance and it just went wide. Just before the interval, Corsham scored somewhat against the run of play, a long ball was played into the centre of the area and a Corsham player scooped the ball over the keeper.

At half time some comments were made about the situation at Corsham and it turned out that during the week they had lost most of their regular team and had to put together a team using several young players from their reserve team. To their credit the visiting team came out in the second half and put together a good performance. They equalised from a corner after 58 minutes when the ball fell to the feet of a Corsham player in the box and his on target shot was deflected in. Both teams then had good chances to score – Corsham saw a header cleared off the line, Chard saw a cross to an unmarked player hit wide of an open goal. Corsham were unlucky when one of their strikers took the ball round the Chard keeper only to be forced wide, allowing covering defenders to clear the ball. Just a minute later and Chard almost took the lead when a shot was hit past the keeper but slowed up in the mud, allowing a Corsham player to clear.

It looked like Corsham would earn a point but a mistake allowed Chard to take the lead. With just over ten minutes to go a shot was spilt by the visiting keeper and hit fell kindly for a Chard player to score. Shortly afterwards Chard added a fourth from a breakaway attack and in injury time there was a fifth goal from a well placed shot. An exciting game, well worth the trip.