Game 1: Clanfield 0.2 Liphook United (Hampshire Premier)

Game 1: Clanfield 0.2 Liphook United (Hampshire Premier) 08.08.18

After a busy summer of World Cup watching it was good to get back to basics and drive over to Clanfield’s Peel Park ground after work for a non floodlit 6.45 kickoff in the sunshine. Met up with Alan just before kickoff and made our way past “Griff’s Cafe” to watch the game from the railed sideline. The start of the first half was fairly even, both sides producing some chances but more often than not finding an opposition player with the ball. Liphook saw the home keeper make a good diving save to keep a free kick out before missing a good chance from a header while the visiting keeper tipped a good shot over the bar.

Liphook took the lead after 38 minutes when the ball was crossed in from the left, leaving the keeper stranded as he tried to close down the attack. There were a couple of covering defenders and when the Liphook player in the area scuffed his shot it looked like they would get the ball clear. Despite the initial mistake, the Liphook player did well to get his foot past a defender to poke the ball in. We didn’t have to wait long for a second goal and this one was an early goal of the season contender. A Liphook midfielder took the ball forward and launched a powerful long range shot that flew past the home keeper and in.

We popped into “Griff’s Cafe” to get some snacks and drinks before heading back out for the second half. Alan enjoyed the bargain prices and having a proper mug for his cup of tea. Clanfield came out with some better football and we thought that they would get a goal back when they were awarded a penalty ten minutes in. It looked like the referee awarded it for a home player being held back by a defender. The Clanfield player hit a good powerful shot towards the top corner but the keeper reacted well and managed to tip the ball over for a corner.

Clanfield put together a great series of passes after seventy minutes that ended up with the ball on the edge of the box under the control of an unmarked midfielder. He rushed his shot and put it well over the bar. From a similar position shortly afterwards Clanfield had an accurate attempt that was tipped onto the bar by the keeper. As the sky began to darken Liphook had a couple of chances but didn’t extend their lead.