Game 8: Pagham 1.0 Horsham YMCA (Southern Combination Premier)

Game 8: Pagham 1.0 Horsham YMCA (Southern Combination Premier) 27.10.18

My second attempt to watch Pagham and thankfully arrived safely this time. Pagham were unbeaten in the league and in 4th place before the game but faced a difficult test against second placed Horsham YMCA. After the mild weather on Thursday night the weather felt more autumnal and I was grateful for a warm coat even though I managed to leave my hat in the car. The clubhouse was busy and we had some food and drink while reading the programme near the wood fireplace.

The opening ten minutes saw both teams testing the opposition’s defence as well as one of the assistants as Pagham were caught offside three times. Horsham had a couple of shots on target after that but had a lucky escape halfway through the half. A good Pagham move saw the ball crossed into the centre where one of their strikers was unmarked. He attempted a shot but only managed to hit the ball against his leg and straight to a defender to clear. Horsham took the ball to the other end and saw a header fly across the goal and wide from a freekick. The stalemate continued as Pagham shot wide when through and just the keeper to beat.

There was a bit of niggle with bad language directed to the officials and towards the end of the half it looked like a Pagham player had been knocked to the ground by a punch. None of the officials saw anything wrong despite the protests of the home team. No action was taken a couple of minutes later when two players squared up after a Horsham player went down after a tackle.

The second half continued in the same vein, both teams creating chances but no goals. Horsham started to dominate and only a superb save from the home keeper, deflecting a shot on to the post, kept the scoreline level. Pagham were playing well on the counter-attack and it looked like they had broken the deadlock when a high ball into the box was directed over the visiting keeper with a looping header. The celebrations were cut short as the assistant on the farside determined the scorer was offside.

Horsham were caught out moments later, the ball broke to a Pagham player who took the ball into the area, around the keeper and hit it into the empty net. The whole team sprinted to the sidelines to celebrate the goal. Horsham continued to look for a goal and one of their subs was putting some good crosses into the area. One saw a shot hit a defender for a corner and another one skimmed off a defender and was saved. Pagham thought that they had scored again from a late corner. The visiting keeper dropped the ball when challenged and the referee blew for a foul as Pagham poked the ball home. Although the game finished with just the one goal it was enough to stretch Pagham’s unbeaten league run to seven wins and five draws.